Sunday, February 8, 2009

Our Latest Restaurant Review on Yelp


This place is absolutely amazing. We came here for dinner Friday night, and as it was the night of the fireworks show for Lake Geneva. It was myself, my girlfriend and my parents. Dieter, the chef/owner came and chatted with us and left us to our dinner. They have the MOST AMAZING homemade spaetzle I have ever had.

The menu is primarily authentic German schnitzel dishes, though they do have specials, and on Saturdays there is a special menu every month (this month is French cuisine). The food came out super hot (my friend had to wait for forever to eat her escargot without burning herself) but everything was so good. We had the goulash, chicken schnitzel, scallops and escargot. Along with a bottle of fantastic Riesling ( I cannot remember the name, but I believe it was the only one they carry). I did take a look at the cocktail menu and they have some great German beer (I saw Erdinger and I was a little sad I settled on the wine. Dessert was homemade pistachio ice cream which I kind of want to marry. During dessert Dieter came to the table and brought us Apfel Schnapps as a digestive.

This place has been in Williams Bay in the Lake Geneva area of Wisconsin for about 34 years and when us girls started our chatting my father decided to chat with Dieter and learned that he had worked in Chicago at the Drake as a Chef, and wants to move to Mexico to open a German restaurant there.

We spent quite a long time here (dinner with the parents can be an evening long event) and I was able to practice my poor, poor German skills with Dieter before we left. I was hesitant at first because I haven't spoken since college, but he was super friendly and excited to speak German with me. We also learned that the bartender lives down the street from me here in Chicago and commutes during the days the restaurant is open (now that's commitment).
We had SUCH a great time at the restaurant that we kind of wanted to come back for the French menu on Saturday. But alas, we spent the day out on the boat and had to grill. Luckily dad can cook a mean steak and salmon.

I'll be back when I go back to Wisco in September. And pretty much every time after that.
If you are in the area, you need to check this place out, it is amazing. But make a reservation!

Maggie R. Chicago (Posted on Yelp 7-8-08)

No comments:

Post a Comment